To most of us, our homes are our number one asset. We spend a lot of time, effort, and money acquiring them and in many ways, protecting them. Home fires are our worst nightmare. Too many of us have seen the nightly news stories of families being displaced, losing all of their valuables and irreplaceable possessions to fire damage. Still, many people associate residential fire sprinklers, an extremely reliable source of protection, with “extra”, bothersome costs that likely won’t pay off in the future.
In order to protect ourselves, we must think of home sprinklers as the invaluable investments that they are. Fires can start in many ways inside of a home, but there’s only one surefire way to keep a fire from spreading before firefighters arrive. For this reason, sprinklers provide direct savings to homeowners.
- When an insurance company looks at your property, they consider it less risky, meaning you’ll likely save on coverage. Money talks, so this is also a strong case for the effectiveness of sprinklers.
- If you take out a second mortgage to cover the cost of installing a residential sprinkler system in your home, the interest can be deductible from your federal income taxes.
- Duh! In the event of a fire, sprinklers will save property (sometimes everything you own) from irreversible damage. Obvious, we know, but worth being mentioned again and again.
- Residential fire sprinkler systems are smart. Only the sprinklers closest to the fire will be activated. This prevents unnecessary water damage from occurring in other parts of the home.
- If you choose to sell your home in the future, a home fire sprinkler system can add serious value to it. Homebuyers value safety, and like to see that a home has been taken care of before purchasing it.
In many cases, fire sprinklers actually put money back into the pockets of those who invest in them. But if you ask someone who has had a home system triggered by fire in the past, residential fire sprinklers will have saved them not just a dollar amount, but perhaps everything in their entire world.