Fire safety is an important topic to discuss, especially during summer time when most fire-related accidents occur. There are many types of fires and different ways to handle them depending on the type of the fire and how it started.
There are the different classes of fires:
- Class A– This type of fire typically takes place in a commercial and home setting. This fire involves common combustibles such as paper, rubber, cloth, wood, plastic, and trash. These fires are typically put out with water.
- Class B- Class B fires involve flammable liquid gasses, solvents, gasoline, oil, paint, tars, and other oil-based products. These kinds of fires spread extremely fast and are best snuffed with a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher.
- Class D– Class D fires involve combustible metals like magnesium, lithium, and titanium. These kinds of fires are best extinguished with a dry powder like, sodium chloride.
- Class C– This type of fire is classified as an electrical fire and can start from any kind of electronic equipment like computers, fax machines, or any other kind of equipment that plugs into an electrical socket. These kind of fires are best extinguished with water.
- Class K– This is one of the most common types of fires which typically occur in the kitchen. Class K fires occur from cooking oils or grease. It is important to use the proper materials to extinguish this kind of fire. Using water to extinguish a grease fire can make the fire much worse. The best course of action is to smother the fire. If the fire occurs in a pan you are using simply use the top to cover the fire and stop it from spreading. You can also use a wet chemical fire extinguisher.
Fire Tech Residential Sprinklers is dedicated maintaining fire safety for homes in Maryland, Washington DC, Baltimore Metropolitan Area, Virginia and Pennsylvania. We offer a variety of sprinkler heads to meet your specific needs for both safety and aesthetics. Protect your home and your family. You never know when a fire may occur, and it is important to be prepared for this situation. Visit our Portfolio to see our work and contact us for an estimate today!