Five of the Most Common Fire Hazards in Your Home

Five of the Most Common Fire Hazards in Your Home

Residential fires make up 80 percent of fire-related deaths. Often, these fires are caused by everyday items that are not primarily viewed as dangerous. Here are some of the most common fire hazards that may be present in your home and how they can be prevented.


Candles may seem harmless but left unattended can be very dangerous. Take some precautions and keep any burning candle at least one foot away from any other flammable item in the area. Utilize a heavy-duty candle holder that can offer more stability and be sure to extinguish all candles before leaving a room.

The kitchen

The kitchen and the act of cooking make up the number one cause of residential fires. Any time you leave a stove, hot dish, or kitchen appliance on longer than it needs to, it can reach extreme temperatures and start emitting sparks.

Electrical wires

Many electrical wires are strung throughout a house and tend to wear out over time and become frayed. These can prove dangerous if gone unnoticed and can ignite the floors or rugs that they rest upon. Make sure you check the wires around your house frequently for any signs of wear and tear.

Power strips

FIre Hazard with a Power Strip in the HomeIt has become necessary to plug in devices now more than ever before, and as a result, overloaded power strips have become a leading cause of fires. Be wary of how many electronics you’re plugging in at a time—sparks can fly from the strips, igniting anything flammable in its vicinity. Make sure that it stays in a well-ventilated area that’s easily accessible and not covered. Even if these measures are taken, however, the safest and most efficient option would be to unplug your power strips when you leave your house, especially for extended periods of time—it’s not only safe but could help save you on energy bills.

Malfunctioning appliances

This last household hazard primarily requires vigilance—it may not be the wire or the power strip, but the electrical appliance itself that poses a threat. If you notice that your appliance is acting strange, such as giving off abnormal odors or making worrisome noises, you may want to get it inspected. It may be on the verge of malfunctioning and could turn into an even bigger issue.

Becoming aware of these fire hazards is only the first step. Now it’s time to take some preventative actions. When combined with smoke alarms, a residential fire sprinkler system can cut the risk of fatalities in a home fire by 82 percent. It may prove to be your best line of defense. Contact us to learn more working with the team at Fire Tech Residential Sprinklers, LLC to install a fire sprinkler system in your home today!

Leave a reply